Friday, August 2, 2013

I Voted

Last weekend, I traveled to Kratie Province as part of a team of diplomatic site visitors observing the Cambodian National Elections.  As observers, our role was simply to watch and report on what we saw happening on election day.  We could ask questions, but we were not there to act as enforcers of proper polling practices...although we would closely watch the polling officials and note if they failed to follow correct procedures.

On election day, we were on the road at 6:30 am to arrive at our first polling station before voting officially opened at 7:00 am.  We watched as polling officials prepared the polling station and then opened the doors to the first voters.  Even this early in the morning, many Cambodians had already arrived to vote. 


The first step of the voting process was to review the posted list outside the polling station to ensure you had come to the polling station where you were registered.  Then staff reviewed your photo ID and gave you a paper ballot.  You took the paper ballot behind a small screen to mark your vote, and then dropped it into the ballot box.  The final step was to dip your finger into a jar of ink.


Watching this whole process made me realize that the last time I physically went to the polls was almost 10 years ago.  In my state of Oregon, we have voting by mail.  About 6 weeks before election day, my ballot would arrive in the mail.  I usually filled out my ballot in front of my computer, pulling up candidate web pages and reading the pros and cons of ballot initiatives as I marked down my choices.  Then I could either mail my ballot back to the voting division, or drop it in one of numerous drop boxes around the city.

This process led to more informed voting, because I could research my options as I voted.  
But by filling my ballot out in solitude, I missed out on the active sense of carrying out my civic duty in community with my neighbors.  The voters I witnessed in Kratie were clearly happy and proud to perform this duty.  As the polls closed, I couldn't resist joining in.  I dipped my finger into the ink jar, pulling out a purple finger as a statement of fellowship with the voters of Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment