Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Elusive Happiness

I was walking home from the gym yesterday, thinking back on all the frustrations of my work day and hoping for a stress-free holiday at home today.  (It is a national holiday for the Cambodian King's birthday.)  Along the way, several tuk tuk drivers hailed me with hopefulness:  "Tuk tuk madame?"  Even though I replied "No," they all nodded kindly in return.

It got me thinking about "my" tuk tuk driver, Pros, who drives me to and from work every day.  Pros always greets me with a large grin and kindly acknowledges my boggled efforts to speak Khmer (the Cambodian language).  On average, Pros receives about $100 a month from me, depending on how often I call him for additional driving on the weekends.  I hope he has other customers, but I honestly don't know.  Either way, he's making more than the Cambodian garment workers, who earn $80 a month.

I make more money than that in a DAY, as do the majority of middle-class Americans.  I'm healthy and able-bodied, evidenced by the fact that I was walking home from the gym.  I have a comfortable home with generator-backed air conditioning, very welcome in this tropical climate.  I have secure employment that lets me see the world.  Yet, here I was brooding about the petty inconveniences of the day, even as Cambodians - likely with far larger concerns - took the time to give me a kind smile.  I even passed a cute little boy who spontaneously called "Hello!" and cheerfully waved as I passed by.

So, today, I will strive to enjoy my holiday.  I will tackle my to-do list, but try to be easy on myself if I don't finish it.  I will endeavor to be kind to those around me, even if hiccups arise to test my patience and understanding.  Mostly I will attempt to be grateful for all that I have and find that it is enough for me to be happy.

Tuk tuk driver Pros driving my friends Jess and Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment