Sunday, August 3, 2014

Moto City

Every expat car driver and pedestrian in Phnom Penh has cursed moto drivers zipping in and out of traffic and speeding down any open pathway regardless of road rules or common sense.  We deplore their lack of caution and lack of helmets.  However, the moto is indisputably the fastest way to travel through the city's narrow, congested streets.  Therefore, it was no surprise that it only took Jeremy three months to buy a moto after arriving in Cambodia.

His initial test drive was inauspicious.  Jeremy settled down on the seat, twisted the throttle, and the moto shot out from under him!  With only wounded pride, he gave it another go (more gently this time), and soon told the seller "I'll take it!"

Now, the moto is his regular mode of transport.  Jeremy rides it to and from work, footy practice, errands.  Basically, he rides it anytime he's going somewhere without me!  I have not taken to the moto so easily.  I finally agreed to ride as Jeremy's passenger for the first time just a few weeks ago.  I feel very nervous on the moto and incredibly vulnerable.  But after a year of refusals, I've now been his passenger three times.  I've even pledged to drive it at least once before we leave. Perhaps I'll become a moto convert yet.

Jeremy with his Yamaha Nuovo

No comments:

Post a Comment